Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tula

Look at this beautiful old dog, she is the sweetest thing. My dad adopted Tula from the SPCA in Vernon BC when she was 1 year old. He had just bout a house on Silver Star Mountain, on 5 acres and decided he needed a guardian. Tula is a Maremma, which is an Italian guardian dog. True to her breed this old girl has done her job well. While living on the mountain she chased off bears, treed cougars, and just enjoyed living outdoors all year long. She rarely ever wanted inside, she loved the snow! I don't recall my dad ever being so attached to a dog as he was to Tula. As they both got older my dad sold his mountain house and moved into town. He bought a beautiful little house, with a small yard and a creek that ran through. Tula was very content to give up her 5 acres, she was getting to old to guard that much land. So she happily guarded her new little lot in town,she started slowing down, her hips started to bother her and she started sleeping inside at night. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 something changed in Tula, she knew he needed her. She started behaving like a young dog again, her hips seemed better, she just seemed better...and every night after my dad went to bed Tula made her way down the hall and laid outside his bedroom door. She was his guardian after all, and he needed her. Sometime over the next two years my dad asked me if I would take Tula if something happened to him; I of course told him I would. So at the end of April 2010 Tula made the journey from Vernon BC to Aberdeen WA. She has brought us such comfort and joy in the time she has been here. We are all head over heals in love with her, and she is now our guardian. Just the other day there was a dog sitting in the street out front of our house. It looked like it may have been injured, so Kyle and Kalene went to investigate. They stayed inside our fence just to be safe, Tula heard the commotion ( my other dogs were outside barking at the dog in the street) so I let Tula out, she ran as quickly as her old legs would carry her and shoved her way between the kids and the fence to protect them from the dog outside the fence lol She is so sweet...so Tula now lives here with us, and spends most of her time inside laying on her bed. But if danger is near you can bet she will be there guarding her new family.

No comments:

Post a Comment