Tuesday, March 15, 2011

First game of the season

First of all let me just say that yesterday was one long day! I left the house at 6:30am to run to the store to pick up a few things for our soccer concession stand and I was on the go until 10pm....but it was sooo worth it!!

Blake's team played at 5pm, now Blake played soccer for the first time ever this past fall on a rec team. Last night he played his first Junior Varsity team and they started him in goal! Oh my!!! Blake has never played keeper before so we are all a bit nervous...ok a lot nervous! Being the parent of a goal keep is very stressful and I am not sure I could handle it for a full season! Blake did so well, he let in one goal in the first half and in the second half someone else was keeper. They ended up losing 3-2 but it was a pretty good game.

Kyle (Varsity) played at 7pm. This game was SO intense! The teams were pretty evenly matched at one point we were up 1-0, but the other team tied it up. In high school soccer they will not end in a tie, so we played two 5 minute overtime halves. Overtime is golden goal, so first goal wins. There were some very intense moments in the overtime halves but at the end it was still tied 1-1. So after overtime comes the penalty shootout...Let me tell you I can not even count how many times we have gone to penalty shootouts over the years...this is my 7th year with high school soccer and so many games end this way....and I have always had a kid who is one of our shooters. Andy was always one of the teams shooters and now Kyle is. When your kid is shooting it is so stressful! Even Andy who comes out to watch gets totally stressed when Kyle is shooting lol I tell him now you know what I went through all those years when you were doing it! Anyhow back to last nights game...it took eight penalty shots from each team before we won the game! Whew....stresss!!! But oh so exciting, what a way to start the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment